PURPLE HAZE STANDARDBRED ADOPTION PROGRAM, INC. is a New York State Not-For-Profit Class "B" Corporation with Federal 501(c)3 tax exempt status.
PURPLE HAZE STANDARDBRED ADOPTION PROGRAM, INC. has been formed to ensure that retired Standardbred horses find a second calling and profession. Many times owners and trainers send these horses to livestock auctions due to a lack of resources, farmland or funds necessary to maintain the retired horses. In some circumstances, the livestock auctions sell the horses on the open market and the retired "non-productive" horses frequently end up in the slaughterhouse in exchange for payment.
This organization's goals are as follows:
- Prevent animal slaughtering and offer a more humane alternative at the end of each horse's career.
- Rehabilitate and retrain Standardbred horses so they may find a place in the equestrian community.
- Supply educational and training services to those who adopt these horses.
- Increase the availability of education and information concerning Standardbred horse adoption and management.
- Provide educational opportunities to the community and surrounding area through an on-site center open to the public.
- Promote responsible horse ownership through education, community outreach, and assistance.